Left Bank Books is hiring a part-time bookkeeper.
This person must have at least 5 year’s experience in bookkeeping in a retail setting. Bookstore experience of any stripe is a plus.
We are looking for a detail oriented, efficient, and innovative person who has a firm grasp of the basics as well as best practices, is familiar with or open to becoming conversant with the latest accounting and bookkeeping tools, and will maintain accurate records in a timely fashion. They will also look for ways to improve and streamline the system. This person will work closely with the store owner. Hours may vary, particularly at the start, and depending on job performance, this person could take on additional bookkeeping/accounting duties.
Work from home for part of the time is possible.
All employees of Left Bank Books learn the basics of frontline bookselling and our store’s culture and customer service standards.
- Quickbooks online - related apps including TSheets and Expensify
- Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Square, Gravity Payments or similar credit card processing
- Booklog inventory control system a huge plus
- Fast and accurate data entry.
Duties and areas of responsibility include:
- Maintain accurate records
- Handle high volume accounts payable to include posting invoices and credits, reconciling disputes and balancing vendor statements
- Manage accounts receivable
- Record bank deposits, balance bank statements
- Prepare financial reports
- Prepare books for and maintain communication with our accountant
- Meet with owner regularly
To apply for this position, please send a PDF of your resume, a letter of introduction describing why you are applying for this job and what you can bring to it, and 3 references to email@example.com.
We're not hiring booksellers at the moment - but that can always change! Apply here and we'll keep your resume on file in case a position becomes available.
Must be comfortable working with the public and in a fast paced environment.
This is a safe practices work space with masking and distancing. New employees must test negative for COVID prior to their first shift.
We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race and class. You are welcome here.
Bookseller Duties include:
· Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent Customer Service
· Processing online orders - this includes picking books from the shelves, placing them on hold, attending to curbside pickup, packaging books to be shipped, etc.
Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
o Sometimes carrying boxes of books
o Sometimes carrying books up and down stairs
· Keeping up to date on current popular books
· Keeping the bookstore clean
· Balancing the cash drawer
· Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
Other duties as needed
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.