Want to be a bookseller? Submit your resume here.
You must enjoy reading, be available on nights and weekends and have reliable transportation to the store. You'll be scheduled for up to three shifts per week working the front desk and events. We prefer someone with bookselling experience, but if you have some other kinds of retail and like to read, that counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race and class. You are welcome here.
· Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent Customer Service
· Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
o Sometimes carrying boxes of books
o Sometimes carrying books up and down stairs
· Keeping up to date on current popular books
· Keeping the bookstore clean
· Balancing the cash drawer
· Staffing off-site author events and book tables
· Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
Other duties as needed
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.