Left Bank Books is St. Louis' oldest independent bookstore in the heart of the Central West End. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service, creating a sense of welcome and community for all, and curating a diverse and engaging selection of books in a wide variety of subjects.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced book lover to join our team! Are you a quick-thinking problem solver who loves helping people find their next read? Come join us in serving the bookish needs of our St. Louis community. Applicants should be comfortable working with the public in a fast-paced environment.
We require all booksellers to be fully vaccinated (including booster) for COVID-19 prior to their first shift in the store.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race and class. Persons of color and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bookseller duties include:
1. Providing friendly, accurate and consistent customer service including --
- General customer service interactions from start to finish on the floor, at the register, through our website, and over the phone, including helping customers find book
- Processing online orders, which includes pulling books from the shelves, placing them on hold, sorting orders for pickup, shipping, or local delivery, and attending to curbside pickup customers outside
- Demonstrating knowledge of books to customers through handselling & offering staff picks
- Keeping up to date on current popular books
- Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
2. Helping to manage inventory including --
- Shelving and merchandising books and other items in all areas of the store
- Sometimes carrying boxes of books
- Sometimes carrying books up and down the stairs
3. Tending to in-store maintenance as necessary and helping to keep all areas of the bookstore clean and attractive including public and staff-only spaces.
4. Other duties as assigned.
- Personable and very comfortable interacting with customers
- Strong communication skills -- in person, over the phone, and via email
- Able to work in both a team environment and independently
- Computer literacy - We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning
- Capacity to spend 6-7 hours standing
- General knowledge of books & literature for readers of all ages
- Gift Wrapping
- Accuracy, Efficiency, & High Level Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Initiative, Motivation, & Enthusiasm
- Self Sufficiency
Left Bank Books serves a diverse community of readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, etc.
Age minimum: 18 years
- Monthly book credit for each of our booksellers
- Employee discount on books you purchase
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.