“This book is perfect for Father’s Day! This beautifully illustrated celebration of all that makes father-daughter relationships so powerful also incorporates a vision of neighborhoods filled with many who do not often see their world reflected in the pages of books. This is for all those fathers who show their love in ways not typically seen in picture books, and for all those daughters who recognize and cherish those acts of love.”
— Linda Sherman-Nurick, Cellar Door Books, Riverside, CA
A celebration of the love between a father and daughter, and of a vibrant immigrant neighborhood, by an award-winning author and illustrator duo.
When Daisy Ramona zooms around her neighborhood with her papi on his motorcycle, she sees the people and places she's always known. She also sees a community that is rapidly changing around her.
But as the sun sets purple-blue-gold behind Daisy Ramona and her papi, she knows that the love she feels will always be there.
With vivid illustrations and text bursting with heart, My Papi Has a Motorcycle is a young girl's love letter to her hardworking dad and to memories of home that we hold close in the midst of change.
About the Author
Isabel Quintero was born and raised by Mexican immigrant parents in Southern California's Inland Empire. She earned her BA in English and her MA in English Composition at California State University, San Bernardino. Her debut YA novel, Gabi, A Girl in Pieces, won the 2015 Morris Award for Debut YA Fiction and the Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children's Book Award.
Zeke Peña is a cartoonist and illustrator from El Paso, Texas. He studied Art History at the University of Texas at Austin and is self-taught in illustration and painting. He has published work with VICE.com, Latino USA, The Believer Magazine, The Nib, Penguin Random House, Holt/Macmillan and Cinco Puntos Press. In 2018 he received the Boston Globe Horn Book Award for a graphic biography he illustrated titled Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide. You can see more of his work at zpvisual.com.
PRAISE FOR MY PAPI HAS A MOTORCYCLE by Isabel Quintero; Illustrated by Zeke Peña
* "A heartwarming story that centers joy in the midst of looming change." - Booklist, starred review
* "An evocative love letter." - Horn Book, starred review
* "The love between the girl and her father is palpable, but her connection to her city ... is at the story's heart." - Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Quintero's warm, economical text and the desert-sunset tones of Peña's comics-inflected art feel like a revelation." - The New York Times
PRAISE FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC: THE LIFE OF GRACIELA ITURBIDE by Isabel Quintero; Illustrated by Zeke Peña
2018 Boston Globe-Horn Book Nonfiction Award Winner 2018 Moonbeam Children's Books Gold Award Winner
* "Quintero and Peña have set a new standard in artist biographies." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "A powerful homage." -- The Horn Book, starred review
* "Eye-opening and masterfully rendered." --Booklist, starred review