· Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent Customer Service
· Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
o Sometimes carrying boxes of books
o Sometimes carrying books up and down stairs
· Keeping up to date on current popular books
· Keeping the bookstore clean
· Balancing the cash drawer
· Staffing off-site author events and book tables
· Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
· Petting, feeding, sometimes cleaning up after the cat
Other duties as needed
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have no allergies to cats. Spike is here to stay.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.
- It's the weekend and you want to make plans. How do you get the information you need to plan your weekend?
- I just read Cutting for Stone, an epic novel that spans three generations of an Indian expatriate family in Ethiopia. I really loved the sweeping family saga and the political intrigue. What should I read next?
- What do you look for in a good bookseller?
- What are three things a retail sales associate should be able to do?
- Please tell us about your last customer service experience with Left Bank Books. Do you have any ideas about how to make it better?