Left Bank Books is currently hiring part-time
Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent
Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
carrying boxes of books
carrying books up and down stairs
Keeping up to date on current popular books
Keeping the bookstore clean
Balancing the cash drawer
Staffing off-site author events and book tables
Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
Petting, feeding, sometimes cleaning up after
duties as needed
What We're Looking For:
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have no allergies to cats. Spike is here to stay.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
What We Offer:
We're an independent bookstore, so you won't get rich working here. Our salaries are modest, but we do provide some perks to make up for it.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.
How To Apply
Send your resume and your answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It's the weekend and you want to make plans. How do you get the information you need to plan your weekend?
- I just read Cutting for Stone, an epic novel that spans three generations of an Indian expatriate family in Ethiopia. I really loved the sweeping family saga and the political intrigue. What should I read next?
- What do you look for in a good bookseller?
- What are three things a retail sales associate should be able to do?
- Please tell us about your last customer service experience with Left Bank Books. Do you have any ideas about how to make it better?